06.08.2022
Lewis Hamilton given deadline on when he’ll discover if F1 wish has been granted

Lewis Hamilton will discover whether his F1 wish has been granted before the end of this year when the sport’s bosses announce the Grand Prix schedule for the 2023 season. The Mercedes driver has previously explained that he hopes F1 will return to South Africa, with the country last hosting a race nearly 30 years ago.

F1 chief Stefano Domenicali is busy planning for next season and told Liberty Media investors on Friday that the calendar for 2023 will be confirmed “around early October”. And the Italian hinted that an African race could be on the cards. “We would like to keep the right flow in terms of efficiency around the world, to consider the needs of a calendar to be spread out from March to November all around the world,” he added.

“The demand is very, very high. We cannot [say] anything more than what we are saying because we are, of course, finalising all the details. But we for sure expect to have a couple of races more than this year, but less than 25, that’s for sure.”

This season there are 22 Grands Prix but, following Domenicali’s comments, F1 fans will be licking their lips at the prospects of watching even more races next time around.

The last Grand Prix in South Africa took place in 1993 at the Kyalami circuit, which is currently being used for GT racing. And last month, Domenicali reportedly travelled to the country to thrash out a deal to return.

Hamilton’s stance on racing in Africa has been clear for some time and earlier this year, the 37-year-old told reporters: “I think it’s important for the sport to go there. If they’re in every other continent, why not?

“The one I really, really want to see is South Africa. That’s the one I want to hear next that gets announced. Ultimately, my ancestors are from there – so that’s why it’s important for me personally.”

It was the second time in a matter of months that Hamilton had spoken about returning to the country after stating last October: “The place I really feel, to my heart, is most important to me is to get a race back in South Africa. I think there is a great following out there and I think it would be great to highlight how beautiful the motherland is.”

Hamilton has endured a tough season to date and is currently sixth in the Drivers’ Championship standings. But the Stevenage-born ace has improved in recent weeks and has finished on the podium at the last five Grands Prix.

Добавить комментарий

JK Rowling, 57, has received death threats after she shared…
0
Those looking up at the sky tonight will spot a…
0
13.08.2022
Liz Truss pledges to end ‘woke’ culture of civil services that ‘strays into anti-Semitism’
The Foreign Secretary revealed she has had to battle with civil service mandarins over policy relating to Israel. She also…
0
13.08.2022
‘Oblivious to the wrongs’ Rishi Sunak compared to Harry and Meghan over major snubs
When asked during a hustings event in Cheltenham whether he had spoken to the outgoing Prime Minister since resigning from…
0
  • 34 минуты назад 13.08.2022Sport
    Emma Raducanu’s new coach Dmitry Tursunov caught up in Russian propaganda – ‘He is ours’

    Emma Raducanu is continuing to find herself in tricky territory after hiring Russian coach Dmitry Tursunov. There were fears the country would use his link with the US Open champion to further their own agenda, and the country’s tennis federation has now fired back after he started working with the 19-year-old on a trial basis, claiming him as their own.

    Raducanu linked up with Tursunov for the recent Citi Open in Washington, months after splitting with coach Torben Beltz. Her decision to hire the former pro came with controversy due to his Russian origin, as the chair of the all Parliamentary group on Russia shared his fears that the world No 10 could get caught up in the country’s propaganda.

    And it seems the Bromley local is already in an uncomfortable situation as the president of the Russian Tennis Federation staked his claim over Tursunov, despite his new partnership with the Brit. “He is ours, he happens at our training camps, we do not leave him, we support him,” Shamil Tarpishchev said, per TACC.

    The RTF boss also stood by the former world No 20 despite his decision to work with Raducanu instead of helping the country’s local talent. He continued: “The question of whom he trains is the personal opinion of the athlete. We once offered him to work, just like Chesnokov, but he chose a different path, it is more profitable to train one of the leading athletes today.”

    Tarpishchev’s words come after Labour MP and chair of the all Parliamentary group on Russia Chris Bryant urged the British No 1 to reconsider her decision to enlist Tursonov for a trial. “The Kremlin will portray this as a PR coup and an indication that the UK doesn’t really care about the war in Ukraine, so it’ll be a real shame if Emma goes ahead with this,” he told Telegraph Sport.

    “I urge her to think again and at the very least to condemn Putin’s barbaric war.” Raducanu herself has said little on her recept link-up with the retired pro, as he joined her for the tournament in Washington but was not with her this week in Toronto, where he had pre-existing commitments.

    Tursunov became a free agent when he parted ways with world No 2 Anett Kontaveir earlier this year, after it was reported that he was struggling to obtain visas to travel for the tour as a result of his Russian citizenship.

    Before leading the Estonian to a first appearance at the WTA Finals and a top five debut, Tursunov worked with former world No 2 Aryna Sabalenka. And if his trial with Raducanu proves successful, he could join the reigning US Open champion in Flushing Meadows for her title defence.

    0
  • 34 минуты назад 13.08.2022Sport
    Man Utd boss Erik ten Hag explains Cristiano Ronaldo decision as Neville issues warning

    Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag and club legend Gary Neville both weighed in on Cristiano Ronaldo’s return to the starting line-up at the Brentford Community Stadium, having missed out against Brighton last weekend. Neville also warned his former club to ‘defend for their lives’ against the Bees with 5ft 9in centre-back Lisandro Martinez among a small squad of Red Devils stars chosen to take on a big, physical Brentford side.

    Ronaldo reportedly asked to leave the club last month and missed the vast majority of pre-season due to personal issues. His only warm-up action was the first 45 minutes against Rayo Vallecano in a friendly at Old Trafford and after being hauled off at half-time, he controversially left the stadium before the final whistle.

    It therefore wasn’t too surprising when the Portuguese was left out of the starting line-up against Brighton last weekend. But Ten Hag’s experimental approach – which involved deploying midfielder Christian Eriksen in a false nine role – backfired as the Seagulls won 2-1.

    Ronaldo was thrown back into the action at the Brentford Community Stadium and before it got underway, both Ten Hag and Neville shed more light on his situation.

    “We had problems from numbers in the squad, offensively,” Ten Hag explained to Sky Sports. “He’s always a threat and he scores goals, so that’s why he’s in the team. Second half last week when he came on, it makes it difficult for the opponents. I expect the same today.”

    When quizzed on the magnitude of the match, Neville added: “This is a really big game considering what happened last weekend. Liverpool coming up in eight or nine days so this is a massive game for the club in terms of building confidence.

    “Ronaldo is guaranteed goals compared to others. What I like about him playing up front is the fact that they’ve got [Christian] Eriksen and [Bruno] Fernandes in behind, so there should be no shortage of clever passes. What he’s got in [Marcus] Rashford and [Jadon] Sancho should be willing runners to make sure he gets space in the box.

    “I admire what Ten Hag has done today. He’s come here today and said we’re going to play total football. But in set pieces I can only see Ronaldo or [Harry] Maguire in that zone. United are going to have to defend for their lives because they’re giants, Brentford.”

    Ronaldo is thought to be keen on joining a Champions League club after United finished sixth last campaign. A host of top European sides, including Chelsea and Bayern Munich, have since distanced themselves from the veteran forward which leaves his future hanging in the balance.

    Ten Hag publicly maintains that his chats with Ronaldo have been positive and the club are keen to see him fulfil the final year of his contract. He scored 24 goals in all competitions last term after sealing a blockbuster return to the Red Devils following spells with Real Madrid and Juventus.

    0
  • 34 минуты назад 13.08.2022Sport
    Man Utd star David de Gea suffers calamitous error gifting Brentford easy goal

    Manchester United got off to the worst possible start in their match against Brentford after David de Gea’s calamitous error from Josh Dasilva’s tame shot. Erik ten Hag made just one change from his side’s disappointing defeat to Brighton last week.

    Cristiano Ronaldo came in for Scott McTominay with some hope United would be able to bounce back with a win. Brentford have not beaten United since 1938, but started the better of the two sides as the Red Devils struggled to get out of their own half.

    The hosts were relentless in their pressing, giving United players little time on the ball. And Brentford eventually got the reward for their hardwork in rather fortuitous circumstanes.

    Ronaldo was dispossesed in the middle of his own half, going down and calling for a foul. The referee waved play on as Dasilva picked up the ball from long range with no United defender coming out to close him down.

    We’ll be bringing you the very latest updates, pictures, and video on this breaking news story.

    For the latest news and breaking news visit:/sport

    Stay up to date with all the big headlines, pictures, analysis, opinion, and video on the stories that matter to you.

    We’re also on Facebook @DailyExpressSport – offering your must-see news, features, videos, and pictures throughout the day to like, comment, and share from the Daily Express, Sunday Express, and Express.co.uk.

    0
  • 1 час, 21 минута назад 13.08.2022Sport
    Cristiano Ronaldo STARTS for Manchester United against Brentford for the first time this season

    Cristiano Ronaldo has been selected in Erik ten Hag’s starting XI for Saturday’s match against Brentford.

    The Portuguese legend was only on the bench in United’s dismal 2-1 home loss to Brighton before coming on as a second-half subsitute.

    Ronaldo comes back into the team as Ten Hag seeks a first win in the Premier League as United boss.

    The wantaway forward informed United he wanted to leave the club earlier in transfer the window, but after several of Europe’s elite clubs distanced themselves from a potential transfer, the 37-year-old looks set to stay at Old Trafford.

    Ronaldo scored 24 goals for United last season, and following a shocking home defeat last time out he finds himself back in the starting line-up with his side desperate for a win.

    The Red Devils have not lost two opening games in a Premier League season since 1992/93 – when they went on to lift the first ever trophy – and Ronaldo’s presence will lend some much needed bite to a side that appeared toothless a week ago.

    Scott McTominay drops to the bench, with Christian Eriksen set to play a deeper role than last time out, alongside Fred, with Bruno Fernandes in his familiar No 10 position.

    Ronaldo lines up alongside Jadon Sancho and Marcus Rashford in a front line not short on pace.

    It is also Danish midfielder Eriksen’s first game back at the Brentford Community Stadium since departing the west Londoners at the end of his short-term contract lasting from January to June 2022.

    With Ronaldo’s future at the club still far from certain, despite a lack of interested parties, United have been linked with a number of transfer targets which have drawn criticism from supporters.

    Reports of interest in Bologna’s Austrian forward Marko Arnautovic drew widespread condemnation on social media, with ex-Arsenal and England forward Paul Merson describing him as a ‘primark player’.

    And with Anthony Martial’s future at the club also as yet unclear Ten Hag is desperately searching for a No 9 and, according to The Athletic, United are considering ex-Chelsea flop Alvaro Morata as ‘a genuine possibility’ to solve their striker problems.

    The report says that United have already held talks with Atletico Madrid and have been told that the former Real Madrid man could cost nearly £30million in order to pull him away from the Spanish capital.

    The 29-year-old is no stranger to the Premier League, having made 47 appearances in the competition for Chelsea, scoring 16 goals.

    0
  • 2 часа, 34 минуты назад 13.08.2022Sport
    Everton star Amadou Onana follows costly mistake with magic moment in wild Toffees debut

    Everton new boy Amadou Onana had a moment to forget with a mistake that led to a goal against Aston Villa on Saturday, before immediately going on a mazy run from the kick-off to set up an opportunity that saw the Toffees pull one back. The former Lille youngster had a wild ride on his Premier League debut with fans given plenty to process on their big-money acquisition.

    Onana, who only completed his move from Lille officially on Wednesday, was left on the bench against Villa as manager Frank Lampard plumped for Alex Iwobi and Abdoulaye Doucoure in midfield. It was evident that the youngster was not up to speed when Doucoure came off injured in the first half, only to be replaced by Tom Davies.

    The 20-year-old, who cost Everton £33.5million, emerged from the bench in the 81st minute and was immediately thrust into the action. Just four minutes into his Premier League debut, an audacious midfield run was snuffed out by Villa who immediately went on the attack and scored with Emi Buendia.

    After a head-in-hands moment, Onana picked himself off, dusted himself down and mounted the perfect response. Almost straight from kick-off, the Belgian international embarked on a powerful run down the left flank, breezing past several players before his low cross was tapped in by Lucas Digne for a humiliating own goal against his former side.

    Onana could have rescued a point for the Toffees late on when he met a hopeful ball into the box, but Calum Chambers was there to make a crucial block and deny another wave of emotion on the youngster’s rollercoaster Everton bow.

    Although there were positives to take, Lampard will still have left the West Midlands disappointed after slumping to a second consecutive defeat to start the season. The Toffees only narrowly avoided relegation last term and were beaten 1-0 by Chelsea last weekend.

    Their attacking shortage was on full display against Villa with Anthony Gordon – most often deployed on the wing – asked to fill in through the middle again. Everton struggled to create anything in the first half but showed more intent after the break, particularly in the game’s dying minutes after Onana gave fans hope.

    A new-look back-five included James Tarkowski and Conor Coady, and while the latter’s long passing was on full display, it wasn’t enough to keep Villa at bay. With a tricky fixture against newly-promoted Nottingham Forest next on the agenda, former Everton centre-back Ashley Williams believes that Lampard should prioritise his attacking options.

    “Everton need a striker, a focal point,” he told the BBC. “They need someone to shoulder the burden of scoring goals in that team.

    “They need more possession – I don’t know how long we’ve been saying it, they need more control in games. The performance last weekend was OK, but today they weren’t as good.”

    0
  • 2 часа, 34 минуты назад 13.08.2022Sport
    Andy Murray given huge Cincinnati test in old rival Stan Wawrinka to threaten US Open prep

    Andy Murray has been placed in the Cincinnati draw as a last-minute entry following several withdrawals. The two-time former champion received one of the qualifier slots and has been drawn to face old foe Stan Wawrinka in what will be the 22nd meeting between the two three-time Grand Slam champions. It could scupper the Brit’s US Open preparations with the risk of another early loss and fewer matches in the lead-up to the final Major of the year.

    Murray narrowly made it into the Cincinnati Masters draw following several withdrawals, after originally being scheduled to play the qualifying event. But the good news didn’t last long for the former world No 1, who was placed to meet Wawrinka in the opening round.

    The pair are no strangers, both holding three Grand Slam titles to their name and facing off 21 times before, with Wawrinka serving as one of Murray’s former rivals. While fans will be delighted to see another meeting between the pair, the former world No 3 is likely one of the last players Murray would have wanted to come up against after confessing he needed a deep run ahead of the US Open.

    The current world No 48 has his sights set on earning a seeded spot at the US Open, and after his defeat in Washington last week he said: “It’s still possible to do it. I would just need to have a good run in Canada or Cincinnati really. It’s pretty straightforward.” But having lost in the first round in Montreal, he will have to go deep next week to make up some ranking points.

    Murray is yet to win a match during the North American hard-court swing, suffering a surprise first-round loss to Mikael Ymer in Washington last week, before drawing No 10 seed Taylor Fritz in Montreal. The recent Wimbledon quarter-finalist needed just 87 minutes to see off the Brit 6-1 6-3.

    He will now hope to get a much-needed win ahead of the US Open over a fellow former champion in Flushing Meadows. Wawrinka has only just returned to the tour after undergoing double foot surgery last year, but the Swiss star won their last meeting at the 2020 French Open.

    Murray and Wawrinka both ended their 2017 seasons through injury after Wimbledon, with the former world No 1 famously struggling with his hip until he underwent a resurfacing surgery in 2019. The 35-year-old has previously confessed that it was his French Open semi-final with the current world No 322 that ruined his hip five years ago.

    When he faced the 2015 French Open champion at the tournament again in 2020, he joked: “Three-and-half years since I played Stan Wawrinka in a brutal five-set semi-final which turned out to be the end of my hip.”

    0
  • Загрузить еще
03.08.2022
The Fed’s global problem
The Federal Reserve’s efforts to fight inflation threaten to send the U.S. economy into a recession. They could also spark…
0
29.07.2022
Biden enters the Always Be Closing phase of his first term
Somehow, someway, Joe Biden is back in the game. After enduring a brutal year dominated by economic angst, legislative setbacks…
0

Sport Lewis Hamilton given deadline on when he'll discover if F1 wish has been granted