He’s come under fire over allegations he ‘skipped the queue’ to see the Queen lying in state.
Yet Phillip Schofield has proved that he can stand in line, with the star once sharing a selfie as he was forced to queue for two hours at Heathrow Terminal 5.
Understandably frustrated by the lack of communication between airline British Airways and the passengers, the presenter shared an Instagram post branding their service ‘s**t’.
Alongside his selfie in the queue he penned: ‘In the queue hours and not one member of staff to talk to. Love you usually, today you are s***.’
The lines were a result of an IT glitch in 2016 that also hit Gatwick and caused huge queues as thousands of families flew off on holiday.
The post has reemerged after the This Morning star, 60, and his co-host Holly Willoughby, 41, have had more than 66,000 people call on them to be sacked from their presenting gig.
An online petition was started up by angry fans who accused the duo of ‘abusing their positions to see the Queen lie in state’.
Amid the backlash the pair have been receiving support from the hosts of Friday’s show, Alison Hammond and Dermot O’Leary, with MailOnline understanding that they have been ‘in regular touch’ with the pair all this week.
Holly and Phil have not commented on the matter since issuing a statement on Tuesday’s show in which they insisted they ‘did not skip the queue’.
A source told MailOnline: ‘Alison, Dermot, Phil and Holly are incredibly close and tight-knit.
‘When things started to blow up over the weekend they were in touch straight away to offer their support. Alison, in particular, has spoken many times with Holly over the phone and been a real rock.
‘Dermot and Alison, along with the rest of the senior members of the ITV team, all knew they were going to be visiting Westminster and there is a sense of shock and bewilderment at how things have blown up.’
This Morning insiders believe they are now ‘through the worst of the crisis’ but ITV bosses are still taking steps to make sure Phil and Holly get any support they need.
‘ITV has a duty of care to look after all of its presenters and some of the abuse that Phil and Holly have received on social media is absolutely horrendous,’ the source added.
‘People have gone way too far in some of the things they are saying and senior management have kept in regular touch with Phil and Holly to check they are OK. That will carry on until next week when they return to the programme.
‘Those working on the show hope, by then, things will have blown over and that they will be able to start to put this nightmare to bed. But only time will tell.’
The news comes after it emerged that Holly and Phillip were keen to issue a public apology over ‘queue-gate’, but were talked out of it after taking legal advice.
A statement was issued by ITV on Saturday and later broadcast on Tuesday’s This Morning, which was voiced over by Holly but both stopped short of using the word ‘sorry’ – a move which has left many viewers furious.
A source told MailOnline: ‘Every word of the statement was poured over. In the end, it’s spectacularly backfired.
‘Initially Holly and Phillip were prepared to say sorry if they’d upset anyone as they both just desperately want to draw a line under the affair. But they were advised strongly not to go down that road of saying sorry.’
Such has been the backlash to the pair that TV insiders are raising ‘serious concerns’ about the presenters’ wellbeing after they appeared tearful and muted on This Morning this week.
In the first episode of the show since the row unfolded, Holly and Phil, 60, strongly denied viewers’ claims they were ‘too posh to queue’ and said they had been in Westminster Hall on Friday ‘strictly for the purpose of reporting on the event.’
The voiceover also hammered home the point, ‘Please know that we would never jump a queue.’
However some social media users were not convinced and there have been calls for the pair to issue an apology.
ITV has since doubled down in the row over footage which seemed to show them filing past the Queen’s coffin – but Holly is said to have been hit particularly hard by online backlash and feels they have been ‘left out to dry’, sources previously said.